This is a souvenir acrylic fridge magnet of Edirne, Turkey Edirne is a city in Eastern Thrace, the northwestern part of Turkey, close to the borders with Greece and Bulgaria. Edirne served as the capital city of the Ottoman Empire from 1365 to 1453, before Constantinople (Istanbul) became the empire's new capital. The city's population is about 138,793. Edirne's economy largely depends on agriculture. 73% of the working population work in agriculture, fishing, forests, hunting. Corn, sugarbeet and sunflower, melon, watermelon and grapes are grown successfully. Tourists visit to see the mosques and cultural activities in Edirne, all reflecting its rich and ancient past. Edirne is home to the traditional oil-wrestling tournament called Kırkpınar held every year in June. It is said to be the oldest active sport organization after the Olympic Games. Another international festival in Edirne is Kakava, a celebration of Romani people held early May each year.
Buildings Of Note In Edirne
Situated near the Greek (7 km) and Bulgarian (20 km) borders, this city is famed for its many mosques, domes and minarets. Adrianople contains the ruins of the ancient palace of the Ottoman Sultans and the Selimiye Mosque, one of the most important monuments in this ancient province. Built in 1575 and designed by Turkey's greatest master architect, Mimar Sinan, it has the highest minarets in Turkey, at 70.9 meters and a cupola three or four feet higher than that of Hagia Sophia Mosque in Istanbul. Carrying the name of the then reigning Ottoman Sultan Selim II, this mosque represents Turkish marble handicrafts and it is covered with valuable tiles and fine paintings. Another notable building is the Trakya University's Bayezid II Külliye Health Museum, an important monument due to its complex construction. The most prominent place in the city is the Edirne Palace, which was the "Palace of the Empire" built during the reign of Murad II. There are caravansaries, like the Rustem Pasha and Ekmekcioglu Ahmet Pasha caravansaries, which were designed to host travelers, in the 16th century.