Saint Petersburg – House of the Highest Cathedral of Russia
Saint Petersburg is the second largest city in Russia with something wonderful in every turn to catch one's attention. This city is a popular tourist attraction and an acrylic fridge magnet of this beautiful historic city serves as a lovely souvenir. Saint Petersburg is located in the North-West Federal district and covers an area of approximately 1400 sq km. The total population of the area is around 5 million. Though Neva is the main river of the city, yet there are 93 rivers and canals in Saint Petersburg and their total length comes to about 300 kilometers. Therefore, Saint Petersburg is aptly called the Northern Venice. It is also the city of museums and theatres as there are 200 active museums and 80 theatres. The city is also rightly nick-named as the "City of bridges" as there are 580 bridges within the city line. Saint Petersburg has the deepest metro in the world with the depth of the underground being 70-80 meters. The highest Cathedral of Russia, Petropavlovsky Cathedral, is located here inside the Peter and Paul Fortress.
The Historical Backdrop of Saint Petersburg
Saint Petersburg falls under the list of "Cultural Heritage site" of UNESCO and has a rich historical background. It was founded in 1703 by the Emperor Peter the Great, on the swampy lands where River Neva flows into the Gulf of Finland. Saint Petersburg has an interesting historical background. It had three different names in different times. Initially it was named after its founder and this name lasted for 211 years. With the beginning of the First World War (1914), the city got a Russian name Petrograd meaning the city of Peter. Then after the death of Lenin in 1924 it assumed the name Leningrad until its original name Saint Petersburg was restored in 1991. Saint Petersburg served as the Capital of Russia for 200 years, from 1712 to 1918.