Acrylic Fridge Magnet of the Houses of Parliament in London, United Kingdom
This is an acrylic fridge magnet memento of the Houses of Parliament in London, United Kingdom. The Palace of Westminster is the meeting place for the House of Commons and the House of Lords, the two houses of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It is commonly known as the Houses of Parliament after its tenants. Its name comes neighbouring Westminster Abbey, and may refer to a medieval building complex destroyed by fire in 1834, or the replacement new palace that stands today. The Elizabeth Tower, which is often referred to by the name of its main bell, "Big Ben", is an iconic landmark of London, one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city and an emblem of parliamentary democracy. The Palace of Westminster has been a Grade I listed building since 1970 and part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1987.
History Of The Houses Of Parliament Buildings
The first royal palace built in the 11th century, was the primary London residence of the Kings of England until a fire destroyed much of it in 1512. After that, it served as the home of Parliament, and the seat of the Royal Courts of Justice, based in and around Westminster Hall. In 1834, a greater fire ravaged the rebuilt Houses of Parliament, and the only structures to survive were Westminster Hall, the Cloisters of St Stephen's, the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft and the Jewel Tower. Part of the New Palace's area of 3.24 hectares (8 acres) was reclaimed from the Thames, which is the setting of its principal facade, the 266-metre (873 ft) river front. Construction started in 1840 and lasted for thirty years, suffering great delays and cost overruns, as well as the death of both leading architects. Major conservation work has been required, due to the effects of London's air pollution, and extensive repairs took place after the Second World War, following its bombing in 1941.