View From Terminal Tower Cleveland Ohio
This is an acrylic fridge magnet souvenir of the view from Terminal Tower Cleveland Ohio, United States. Terminal Tower is a 52-story, 235 meter landmark skyscraper located on Public Square in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. It was built during the skyscraper boom of the 1920s and 1930s, and was the fourth-tallest building in the world when it was officially dedicated on June 28, 1930. Built for $179 million by the Van Sweringen brothers, the tower was to serve as an office building atop the city's new rail station, the Cleveland Union Terminal. The building's height allowed radio station WHK to place antennas on the building to increase range of the 1420 kHz signal. In the 1980s, a plan to build a taller building than the Terminal Tower was put forward, but was rejected by city officials who wanted to keep the Terminal Tower as the city's tallest building. The building, the BP Building, was scaled down, and the Terminal Tower remained the tallest building in Cleveland until the completion of Key Tower in 1991.
On a clear day, visitors on the observation deck can see 30 miles (48 km) from downtown Cleveland. To reach the observation deck, visitors take the elevator to the 32nd floor and then transfer to another elevator to reach the 42nd floor. Prior to its original closure, the deck was open only on weekends, to prevent disruption to the law firm that has offices on the 32nd floor. The Terminal Tower was lit when it opened in 1930. A strobe light on top of the tower rotated 360 degrees. It helped ships in Cleveland's port and airplane pilots landing at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. In the 1960s, the strobe was retired and replaced with conventional aircraft warning lights. The tower only once went dark, during the Northeast Blackout of 2003. The Terminal Tower is lit in a golden color at night, but for special occasions it is lit in seasonal colors (e.g., red and green during the Christmas holiday season).