Old General Motors Building In Detroit Michigan
This is an acrylic fridge magnet souvenir of the Old General Motors Building in Detroit Michigan, United States. Cadillac Place is a landmark high-rise office complex in the New Center area of Detroit, Michigan. The structure served as General Motors world headquarters from 1923 until 2001 when it moved the last of its employees to the Renaissance Center on the Detroit River. The ornate class-A office building was constructed of steel, limestone, granite, and marble between 1919 and 1923 and listed as a National Historic Landmark in 1985. The 2002 renovation to house State offices was one of the nation's largest historic renovation projects. Upon completion it was renamed Cadillac Place as a tribute to Detroit's founder, Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac. Cadillac Place currently houses over 2,000 State employees including the Michigan Court of Appeals for District I. Cadillac Place rises 15 stories to a total height of 67 metres and has 31 elevators.
Cadillac Place is an exquisite example of Neo-Classical architecture. Designed by noted architect Albert Kahn, the structure consists of a two-story base with four parallel 15-story wings connecting to a central perpendicular backbone. Kahn used this design to allow sunlight and natural ventilation to reach each of the building's hundreds of individual offices. The entire building is faced in limestone and is crowned with a two-story Corinthian colonnade. In 1923, it opened as the second largest office building in the world (behind the Equitable Building in New York City). The base of the building is surrounded by an arched colonnade supported by Ionic columns. The interior features a vaulted arcade with tavernelle, an Italian marble, covering the walls. The arcade was originally lined by stores and an auditorium which could be used for corporate functions or by community groups. The auditorium space was later converted into an auto showroom. On the lower level were two swimming pools; one was converted into a cafeteria. Tile with a water theme gives a hint to the original use of the cafeteria space. A depressed driveway extending between Cass and Second divides the lower level of the main building from the lower level of the Annex. When the Fisher Building was constructed across Grand Boulevard in 1927, the two were connected with an underground pedestrian tunnel that also connects north to the New Center Building allowing workers and visitors to transverse all three buildings without venturing into the elements. The entrance is set into a loggia behind three arches of the Grand Boulevard facade. It intersects the arcade to form a large elevator lobby with a coffered ceiling. Floors on the ground level are gray Tennessee marble. On the upper stories, floors are also gray Tennessee marble while corridor walls remain their original with white Alabama marble.