An Historic Picture Of Fort Sheridan In Illinois Pictured On An Acrylic Fridge Magnet
Pictured on this attractive acrylic fridge magnet, from the catalogues of World Wide Gifts, is an historic scene from Fort Sheridan, Illinois. The picture shows the Commandant's House. Troops first arrived at what was then Camp Highwood in 1887. The camp was renamed Fort Sheridan the following year. The fort remained a military base until its closure in 1993. Ninety acres of the original site are still used as an Army Reserve Base. The United States Navy is also represented in the area with housing for Navy families from the nearby Naval Station Great Lakes. The remainder of the area is taken up with residential and commercial buildings; some of which are restored buildings from the original fort. The area makes a totally different sight than it did when the picture on this acrylic fridge magnet was taken.
The History Of Fort Sheridan In Illinois
The Commercial Club of Chicago, which still champions the commercial development of the city, had concerns in 1877. The club believed that there was a need for a military garrison in the area. In 1886 the Haymarket Riot took place. This was initially a peaceful labour protest, supporting striking workers, but turned violent after a gunpowder bomb was thrown. Several police and civilians were injured and killed in the blast and the gunfire that followed. As a result of this event the Commercial Club donated land for use by the military and the first soldiers arrived in 1887. 1898 saw Fort Sheridan beginning its life as a mobilisation and training centre as it provided this service for the Spanish-American War. During both of the World Wars the fort acted as a processing centre for those in military service. Today, twenty years after its closure as a military base, many of the original buildings at Fort Sheridan have been restored and given modern interiors to provide residences. The site is very different from that represented by the Commandant's House on this acrylic fridge magnet.