The Illustrious History of Little Kennesaw Mountain
Little Kennesaw Mountain is one of the two important summits in the Kennesaw Mountain range. It is most notable for being the venue of the epochal Battle of Kennesaw, during the height of the American Civil War. Today, remnants of the battle are preserved in a national historic site called the Kennesaw Battlefield Park. The epic battle was fought between the Union and Confederate Army. The Union army forces were led by General William Tecumseh, while the confederate army was under the stewardship of Joseph E Johnston. Although the Union troops greatly outnumbered the Confederate Army, the latter won on account of their valiant courage and endeavor. A total of 5350 soldiers lost their lives in the bloody conflict, which lasted between June 18 and July 2 of 1864. The park was originally established under the name of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Site in 1917. Then in 1935, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and was given its present name. The cannon portrayed in the acrylic fridge magnet is one of several artillery devices that were originally used during the Battle of Kennesaw. It is a valuable memento that immortalizes a critical piece of American history.
Places to Visit at Kennesaw Battlefield Park
The historic park consists of three battlefield areas. These include the stretch looking over the Visitor Center, Burnt Hickory Road and the most significant of them all - Cheatham Hill, which was known during the war as Dead Angle. The interpretive walking trails with their historic earthworks, repositioned cannons and interpretive signs leads visitors on a riveting 17.3 mile historic journey into the series of events that took place in 1864. The Monument dedicated to Illinois Soldiers at Cheatham Hill is also a must visit for tourists.