The City Of Wilmington
Wilmington City is located at the confluence of clear blue Christina River flowing into the Delaware River. This is the largest city in the state of Delaware in United States. Topographically, Wilmington lies at the fall line that separates the flat coastal plane from the hilly areas to the west. Along both sides of the Christina River, the land is flat, low line and marshy in places. Wilmington city became fashionable for the decorated mansions built by wealthy industrialist and business men on Delaware Avenue. Later on, Wilmington city was established as the "Corporate Capital". After the Financial Center Development Act in 1981, numerous banks and financial institutions were established. The city has a collection of extensive buildings displaying popular styles of late 20th century. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir with a beautiful view of the Wilmington city is an excellent memento for tourists to remember the place once they are return home.
History of Wilmington City
Wilmington was first colonized by Swedish settlers who arrived on the Fogel Grip and Kalmar Nyckel in March 1638. At the mouth at the Christina River they established Fort Christina which became the head quarters of the colony of New Sweden. In 1655 a Dutch fleet captured the Swedish fords and established the colony of New Netherland. Finally, in 1664, after a series of wars between the Dutch and the English, the British colonization began. During the reign of King George II in 1739, a borough charter was granted which changed the name from Willington to Wilmington, presumably named after the Earl of Wilmington.