This is a unique souvenir from Barcelona, Spain, a brass coloured metal fridge magnet of Gaudi's Casa Batllo. Casa Batllo is a renowned building located in the heart of Barcelona and is one of Antoni Gaudi's masterpieces. Casa Batllo is a remodel of a previously built house. It was redesigned in 1904 by Gaudi and has been refurbished several times after that. Casa Batllo evokes the creativity and playfulness of Gaudi's work through the intricate and creative floors. The local name for the building is Casa dels ossos (House of Bones), as it has a visceral, skeletal organic quality. It was originally designed for a middle-class family and situated in a prosperous district of Barcelona. It seems that the goal of the designer was to avoid straight lines completely. Much of the facade is decorated with a mosaic made of broken ceramic tiles (trencadis) that starts in shades of golden orange moving into greenish blues. The roof is arched and was likened to the back of a dragon or dinosaur. A common theory about the building is that the rounded feature to the left of centre, terminating at the top in a turret and cross, represents the lance of Saint George (patron saint of Catalonia, Gaudi's home), which has been plunged into the back of the dragon.
In 1904 Josep Batllo hired Gaudi to design his home; at first his plans were to tear down the building and construct a completely new house. Gaudi convinced Josep that a renovation was sufficient and was also able to submit the planning application the same year. The building was completed and refurbished in 1906. He completely changed the main apartment which became the residence for the Batllo family. He expanded the central well in order to supply light to the whole building and also added new floors. In the same year the Barcelona City Council selected the house as a candidate for that year's best building award. The award was given to another architect that year despite Gaudi's design. Josep Batllo died in 1934 and the house was kept in order by the wife until her death in 1940. After the death of the two parents, the house was kept and managed by the children until 1954. In 1954 an insurance company named Seguros Iberia acquired Casa Batllo and set up offices there. In 1970, the first refurbishment occurred mainly in several of the interior rooms of the house. In 1983, the exterior balconies were restored to their original color and a year later the exterior facade was illuminated in the ceremony of La Merce. In 1993, the current owners of Casa Batllo bought the home and continued refurbishments throughout the whole building. Two years later, in 1995, Casa Batllo began to hire out its facilities for different events. More than 2,500 meters squared of rooms within the building were rented out for many different functions. Due to the buildings location and the beauty of the facilities being rented, the rooms of Casa Batllo are in very high demand and hosted many important events for the city.