The Evolution of the Nyhavn Canal from Trading Port to Tourist Destination
The meandering Nyhavn Canal is an important manmade waterway that was built to facilitate trade and commerce in the center of Copenhagen. The canal heralded the onset of a flourishing business climate in the region as merchant ships alighting from the high seas could seamlessly gain access to the city center and tender their goods and services. As a result of this expansion, the area around Nyhavn Canal became the epicenter of trade and commerce in the city, fuelling the establishment of a wealthy neighborhood. The magnificent houses that sprouted up around the canal became the residence of the rich and well heeled strata of Copenhagen. These plush tenements, which are more than 250 years old are still in existence today and create a surreal collage of colors with their reflections across the placid waters of the canal. Being a converging point for maritime life, the prefecture was notorious during its initial years for drunken bar room brawls and debauchery. However, with the passage of time, Nyhavn has transpired into a luxuriant neighborhood, replete with fine dining restaurants, hotels and classy entertainment. These new developments have caused a spike in tourism to the region and many ships docked in the area have been converted into posh hotels and restaurants to accommodate the influx. The acrylic fridge magnet depicts a tranquil image of the canal and the aesthetically crafted buildings that abut it. It is the perfect holiday souvenir to cherish.
Brief Historical Framework of Nyhavn Canal
The Nyhavn Canal came into existence under the stewardship of King Christian V. It was built by Swedish war prisoners between 1670 and 1673. The first tentative foot bridge built across the canal was opened to the general public on 6th February 1875. This was later replaced in 1912 by the one that exists today. The canal was briefly devoid of water traffic during World War II, when land transport took precedence. Copenhagen's mayor Egon Weidekamp deemed the Nyhavn Canal a ship and museum harbor in 1977.