Seal Of Alabama
This is an acrylic fridge magnet souvenir of the Seal of Alabama, United States. Designed in 1817 by the first governor of the Alabama Territory, William Wyatt Bibb, the great seal of Alabama displays the major rivers of the state. The seal design is a map of the Alabama and surrounding territories. When Alabama became a state in 1819, this seal became the official state seal and remained unchanged for over 50 years. The original design was replaced with a new seal on December 29, 1868. The seal is in the form of a circle, and two and a quarter inches in diameter; near the edge is the word 'ALABAMA' and opposite, at the same distance from the edge, are the words 'GREAT SEAL.' In the centre of the seal an eagle is represented with raised wings alighting upon the national shield, with three arrows in his left talon. The eagle holds in his beak a streamer, on which immediately over the wings are the words 'HERE WE REST.' This design is still used by the Alabama Department of Labor.
A New Design
In 1939, at the request of Governor Frank M. Dixon, the original concept of a map design was returned to use. The new seal was adopted during a special session called by the Governor. The design was described as follows: The seal shall be circular, and the diameter thereof two and a quarter inches; near the edge of the circle shall be the word "Alabama," and opposite this word, at the same distance from the edge, shall be the words, "Great Seal." In the center of the seal there shall be a representation of a map of the state with its principal rivers. The seal shall be called the "Great Seal of the State of Alabama." The seal shall be kept and used as required by the Constitution and laws. The use of stars in the border, the specific design of the letterforms and the map image, the labeling of adjacent states and the Gulf of Mexico, and the application of colors to the seal are not described in the law. The seal prominently features a map showing one of the state's most valuable resources-its major rivers.