The Goodyear Blimp Flying Overhead Downtown Cleveland, Ohio
This is an acrylic fridge magnet souvenir of the Goodyear blimp flying overhead downtown Cleveland Ohio, United States. Downtown Cleveland is the central business district of the City of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio, United States. While much of the city's population moved to surrounding suburbs in the second half of the 20th century, downtown Cleveland's population grew by thousands or 32.2% growth. Downtown Cleveland with around 11,693 people is the biggest downtown district in Ohio. Downtown Cleveland workforce numbers over 100,000, and the central business district contains over 16 million square feet of rentable office space. Both these commercial statistics lead the state of Ohio. The heart of downtown and the city's first settled area, the Public Square was laid out by the city founder Moses Cleveland in 1796 and has remained largely unchanged. It consists of a large open space, cut into quadrants by Ontario Street and Superior Avenue.
Public Square is the symbolic heart of the city, and has hosted presidents, vast congregations of people, and a free annual 4th of July concert by the Cleveland Orchestra. At one time, Public Square was fenced off and inaccessible to vehicles. In 1860, the Perry Monument, a memorial to Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's victory in the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812, was dedicated in the center of Public Square. In 1892, it was moved out of the square, which by then had the fences removed after lobbying by commercial interests. Public Square is also home to the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, which commemorates residents of Cuyahoga County who served in the Civil War. Public Square also features a statue of Cleveland; a statue of Tom L. Johnson, the city's most famous mayor; a large amount of shrubbery and other landscaping; and a large public fountain. The Consulate-General of Slovenia in Cleveland is in the 55 Public Square building. Notable buildings on Public Square include the Terminal Tower, home to Tower City Center, 200 Public Square - the former BP Building (renamed in 2005), as well as Key Tower, the tallest building in Ohio and one of the tallest in the United States. Public Square is also home to the historic Old Stone Church, completed in 1855. Higbee's department store building is home to the Cleveland Horseshoe Casino, since its opening on May 14, 2012.