The Lighthouse and the Inland Seas Maritime Museum
The Inland Seas Maritime Museum is located in the town of Vermillion in Ohio, United States. This museum is dedicated to the preservation of the nautical history of the Great Lakes. The museum was originally housed in the Cleveland Public Library. Then in 1953, Commodore Albert Wakefield donated his house to Bowling Green State University. The building was then leased to the Great Lakes Historical Society as a permanent home for the museum. In 1992, a replica of the iron 1877 vermilion Lighthouse was erected on the Society's property. This Vermillion lighthouse is a landmark of Vermillion's nautical heritage. Moreover, the museum is loaded with everything associated with Great Lakes shipping. Some artifacts of the ships lost or damaged in the Battle of Lake Erie in 1812, are present in the Inland seas Maritime Museum. One of them is a wooden rudder recovered near West Sister Inland. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir, with its depiction of the lighthouse and the Inland Seas Maritime Museum, is an excellent memento for tourists to take home.
Fate of Inland Seas Maritime Museum
The Great Lakes Historical Society decided to close the Inland Seas Maritime Museum. This decision was taken in September 2011, due to lack of exhibit space and declining attendance, which resulted in low income. This Society entered into an agreement with the Toledo Lucas County Port Authority to create the National Great Lakes Maritime Museum in Toledo, Ohio, in 2013. Toledo holds out the possibility of more than three times the space at Vermillion. The replica of the Lighthouse dismantled in 1929, belonged to the city of the Vermillion. Thus, the Society deeded it to the city even if they were unable to come up with $1.65 million to purchase the museum building and its 2.3 acres parcel.