The Ohio State Capitol
The Ohio State capitol is located in the Columbus city. It houses the seat of government of the state of Ohio. The Ohio state house occupies a ten-acre parcel of land donated by John Kerr, L. Starling, John Johnston and Alexander McLaughlin. The construction of the State Capitol began in 1839. The State house was designed on the basis of the buildings of ancient Greece. The broad horizontal mass of the building and the regular rows of columns, resemble the Parthenon in Athens. The Statehouse is a masonry building of limestone. The construction of the Ohio State capitol is credited to the work of a group rather than an individual. One of the most notable architects was Northern B. Kelley. The ceremonial offices of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Treasurer and Auditor are on the first floor of the building. The Ohio General Assembly chambers are on the second floor. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir with the depiction of the Ohio State Capitol is an exceptional memento.
Artworks and Monuments of the Ohio State Capitol
The hallowed walls and floors of the Ohio State Capitol are draped with numerous works of art. These include portraits of former Governors and Lt. Governors. There are two paintings by Howard C. Christy. One painting shows the signing of the Treaty of Greenville and the other painting shows the honoring of Thomas Edison. A large marble bust of President Abraham Lincoln, who visited the Statehouse thrice, was erected after his death. The floor of the Statehouse Rotunda is made of 500 pieces of marble. The design of the center of the floor traces the gradual development of the United States.