The Great Seal of Ohio
The Great Seal of Ohio features the United States' coat of arms. This seal has the words "The great seal of the State of Ohio" inscribed in block letters. Ohio's coat of arms with full sheaf of wheat, symbolizes the state's agricultural bounty. The Great Seal of Ohio contains a cluster of seven arrows, symbolizing Ohio's admittance as the seventeenth of the United States of America. This seal features a representation of Mount Logan, Ross County, as viewed from the Adena Mansion. The seal has a rising sun, quarters exposed, radiating thirteen rays to represent the original thirteen states shining over the first state of the Northwest Territory. This Great Seal has a representation of the Scioto River and cultivated fields. This seal is used in State government and an acrylic fridge magnet with the depiction of the Great seal of Ohio, is an excellent memento for tourists to take home.
History of the Great Seal of Ohio
The Great Seal of Ohio has undergone at least 10 revisions in the state's entire history. The original coat of arms was based on a sketch done by then Secretary of State William Creighton, Jr. It was adopted on March 28, 1803 for official use of the government. In 1805, the original legislation was repealed leading to a wide variety of designs. The 1847, the seal depicted in the Statehouse rotunda skylight included a canal boat. In 1866, an elaborate coat of arms was included by the Republican General Assembly. The Republican's new motto proved unpopular. In 1868, the entire coat of arms was revised by a Democratic General Assembly. Then in 1967, the present coat of arms as it stands today was adopted by the Ohio General Assembly.