Fridge Magnet of Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site
Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site is the location of semi-established trading point located on the Missouri River and the border of Montana/ North Dakota. It is amongst the oldest National Historic Landmarks of the country, and is an important attraction for the historians. It was initially named 'Fort Henry' and was established sometime during 1828 or 1829; there is ambiguity in the exact date of creation. You will find many interesting souvenirs of this fort including this fridge magnet. The magnet features a brightly colored picture of the fort with its name written below and North Dakota USA on its top.
Reconstructed Fort Union Trading Post
The reconstructed fort looks quite pleasant and is decorated well using paintings made by several artists including George Caitlin, John James Audubon and Karl Bodmer. The fort is not an extravagant site to look at, but it still holds its share of attraction especially for those who are intrigued by its history.
More about the Fort
Fort Henry was constructed by the Upper Missouri Outfit that was administered by Kenneth McKenzie at that time. It served as the main trading post for fur in upper Missouri until 1867. Several tribes including Crow, Ojibwe, Lakota, Assiniboine, Hidatsa, Blackfoot and Cree used to trade robes made of buffalo skin and other fur for other commodities like guns, knives, cloth, alcohol, cookware, clay pipes and blankets. The port was extremely important to the state, and in 1961, its site was given the status of a National Historic Landmark; also, National Park Service changed its named to Fort Union Trading Post to distinguish it from the Fort Union National Monument. The fort was visited by numerous notable people including George Catlin, Jim Bridger, Sitting Bull, Father Pierre DeSmet, Karl Bodmer and John James Audubon.