History of Almont and Old Grain Elevator
Almont is a village in Lapeer County in Michigan, United States. The North Almont grain elevator is like a landmark for the people in the area. In grain trade, a grain elevator is a tower containing a bucket elevator or a pneumatic conveyor. This elevator scoops up grain and deposits it in a silo. Old grain elevators were often constructed of cribbed wood. Later steel was used in construction. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir, with the depiction of an Old Grain Elevator of Almont, is an excellent memento for tourists to take home. James Deneen first settled in Almont in 1828. In 1835, a post office was built in Almont named Bristol, for Oliver Bristor who was the second permanent settler. The village was platted as Newburg in 1836. James Thompson is said to have proposed the name Almont in 1846 to honor the Mexican general, Juan Almonte. Almont was the seat of Scottish Settlement that formed in 1830s. About 200 Scottish families left Ayrshire, Scotland and settled in southeastern Michigan.
Some Facts about Grain Elevators
The Grain elevator was invented by a merchant named Joseph Dart and an engineer, Robert Dunbar, in Buffalo, New York. Using the stream powered flour mills as their model they invented the marine leg, which scooped loose grain. Early grain elevators and bins were constructed of framed wood which were prone to fire. But now the grain elevator bins, tanks and silos are made of steel or reinforced concrete. The world's second and third grain elevators were built in Toledo, Ohio and Brooklyn in 1847. In the early 20th century, there was concern about monopolistic practices in grain elevator industry, leading to testimony before the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1906. This led to several grain elevators being burned down in Nebraska, allegedly in protest.