The New Hampshire State House
The New Hampshire State House is the state capitol building of New Hampshire. It is located in Concord at 107 North Main Street, United States. This state House was constructed by the famous architect, Stuart James Park in 1816. It took three years to complete the building. The officers of the New Hampshire General Court, Governor and Executive Council are housed in the New Hampshire State house. This State House upholds the Greek revival style. It was built with smooth granite blocks. A small projecting portico supported by Doric columns, covers the entrance of this building. The above balcony is lined with a balustrade. There are rectangular windows on the first floor. The windows on the second floor are arched and the third floor has square panels. In 1818, a huge statue of a gold painted wooden war eagle was raised. In 1957, the war eagle was replaced by a peace eagle statue looking to the right. The original eagle is kept in the New Hampshire Historical Society. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir with the depiction of the New Hampshire State House is an excellent memento for tourists to take home.
History of New Hampshire State House
In 1814, there were discussions about building a suitable house for the state capitol. The General Court suggested three locations; Concord, Hopkinton and Salisbury. Concord was selected by the legislature. $82000 million were spent in constructing this State House. The House Chamber is the largest state legislative body in United States. The Senate Chamber is in the northeastern corner of the Capitol. The yard is decorated with statues of Daniel Webster, General John Stark, John P. Hale, and Franklin Pierce.