The Cathedral of St. Helena
The Cathedral of St. Helena is an example of beautiful Neo-Gothic architecture. It is modelled after the famous Votive Church of the Sacred Heart in Vienna, Austria. The construction of this church began in 1908 by the Columbia Construction Company of New York and it took several years to complete. This cathedral, with its double red spires that rise 230 feet above street level, can be seen from all points of the town Helena. The interior as well as the exterior is opulent and impeccably artistic. It has high domed ceiling and tall pillars. This Roman Catholic Diocese of Helena has around 59 windows which were hand-crafted in Bavaria and shipped to Montana. Many of these windows tell the story from the fall of Adam and Eve up through the early 20th century, in a series. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir with its image of the famous cathedral of St. Helena is an excellent memento for tourists, as a symbol of sacredness.
Some Renovations of the Cathedral of St. Helena
The 1935 earthquake severely damaged the cathedral. But the fundamental structure was intact which enabled reconstruction. At the time of reconstruction, this cathedral was equipped with earthquake proofing reinforcement. Recently two new social halls and a complete kitchen have been set up at the lower level. On the upper level, a sanctuary, St. Joseph's Chapel, and a new baptistery have been constructed. The Cathedral included a Catholic school which operated from 1909 to 1969. Later on, the school was demolished. Maintenance and cleaning, is done by the dedicated staff of the Cathedral of St. Helena.