The Burnside Bridge - A Souvenir of the Antietam Battle
The Burnside Bridge is a bridge over Antietam Creek in Maryland, United States. In 1836, John Weaver, the master bridge builder, completed this beautifully proportioned 192 foot long stone bridge. The bridge was then known as Lower Bridge. Twenty six years later the bridge became bloody in the one day fighting of the Civil War. Around five thousand Americans lost their lives on September 17, 1862. Ever since, the bridge was named after General Ambrose P. Burnside, commander of the Union Troop. He stormed through the bridge under heavy firing from the Confederates. After the battle, the bridge was actively used for traffic. In 1966, vehicle traffic was stopped over the bridge and a bypass was built for cars, to preserve its historical importance. This Burnside Bridge is now maintained by National Park Service. This three arched bridge has been faithfully restored to its original condition, with its wooden coping. This acrylic fridge magnet souvenir, with its depiction of the Burnside Bridge, is an excellent memento for tourists to take home.
A Short Note on Antietam Battle
The Battle of Antietam began at dawn on September 17, 1862. Major General Joseph Hooker advanced his troops against the bombardment of the Confederates and drove them from their positions. Around 7 a.m., the Confederates reinforced them their troops and pushed the union troops back. A fierce fighting continued for four hours before the Union troops could finally take the Sunken Road. On the southeast side of the town, General Ambrose E. Burnside had been trying to cross Antietam Creek since mid morning against 500 Georgia shooters. Around 1p.m., they finally crossed Burnside Bridge and took the heights. The battle was over with the Union Troops resting on three sides. During the night, General Lee took his troops back and left the battle field and the town to General McClellan.