Pemaquid Point Light Station In Maine Pictured On An Attractive Acrylic Fridge Magnet
Pemaquid Point Light Station was originally built in 1827 at the instruction of the Sixth President of the United States of America, John Quincy Adams. There were problems with the original construction which may have been due to the use of salt water in the mortar. The building began to collapse and had to be rebuilt in 1835. Today the lighthouse is run by the American Lighthouse Foundation under licence; tours of the tower are available to the public. The surrounding area is run by the people of the town of Bristol. This includes the former keeper's house which is now a fisherman's museum and home to many artefacts which have been donated by the local community. The lighthouse and the museum lie within the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse Park, an area where people can picnic, relax, or take a look at the paintings in the Pemaquid Art Gallery. This is certainly a beautiful place to visit as can be seen from the picture of Pemaquid Point Light Station in Maine on this acrylic fridge magnet from the catalogues of World Wide Gifts.
The History Of Pemaquid Point Light Station In Maine
At one point the Pemaquid Point Light Station had as its keeper Marcus A Hanna, the only man to be awarded both the Medal of Honor and the Gold Lifesaving Medal. A popular building with an illustrious history the people of Maine voted for the lighthouse to feature on the state quarter coin. In 1985 Pemaquid Point Light was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places. An attractive building with an interesting history Pemaquid Point Light Station makes a lovely sight as can be seen from the picture on our attractive acrylic fridge magnet.