New Haven City Hall And County Courthouse In Connecticut Pictured On An Attractive Acrylic Fridge Magnet
The New Haven City Hall and County Courthouse were actually two buildings built at separate times. The City Hall was designed by Henry Austin and built in 1861. The old courthouse was designed by David R Brown and built a decade later, between 1871 and 1873. The latter is now an annex of the former. The buildings are perfect examples of High Victorian Gothic architecture as can be seen from the picture on this acrylic fridge magnet from the catalogues of World Wide Gifts. Although their creation is steeped in history the buildings also utilise modern invention. A PureCell System is being used to heat and cool the buildings to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
New Haven Green In New Haven, Connecticut
The New Haven City Hall and County Courthouse stand on the east side of New Haven Green. This area was a traditional town green, completed in 1638 and is now a privately owned parked used as a public space. It was designed by the Puritans who were said to have made it big enough to hold what they believed to be the number of people who would be spared in the Second Coming of Christ, one hundred and forty four thousand. It was originally the home of a school, prison, and the First Methodist Church. In later years the New Haven militia paraded on the green. It was from here that they travelled to Massachusetts and took part in the Battle of Bunker Hill in the American Revolution. Today the green is used for more peaceful pursuits. People visit the park to relax and, during the summer months, it hosts many jazz and classical music concerts. The park is surrounded by modern and historic buildings such as the New Haven City Hall and County Courthouse which are pictured on our acrylic fridge magnet.