Pea Ridge - A Battlefield Steeped In History
Pea Ridge National Military Park is the legendary site of the historic battle that was fought in March 1862 to emancipate Missouri from the Union. The mighty battle, comprising a total of 26,000 soldiers was fought between the rampaging Federal and Confederate armies. The Confederates were led by Major General Earl Van Dorn and consisted of 16,000 soldiers. The Union army was under the stewardship of Brigadier General Samuel R. Curtis and consisted of 10,250 soldiers. To boost the numbers of the Confederate army, 800 odd Cherokees also pledged their allegiance. The battle was fought on the 6th and 7th of March 1862. Till date, the Pea Ridge National Military Park has preserved the cannons and other war memorabilia, leaving them intact in the same place where they were found. Memorable sites include the 2.6-mile long Trail of Tears and The Elkhorn Tavern, which was where most of the carnage occurred. The acrylic fridge magnet depicts a sterling image of the Pea Ridge Battlefield, replete with three cannons that were originally used during the battle. It is an excellent souvenir to remind you of this crucial chunk of American history.
Establishment of Pea Ridge National Military Park
The Congress established Pea Ridge National Military Park in 1956. The objective was to preserve the battlefield as a heritage site. Then in 1963, it was deemed a national park to commemorate the Civil War Centennial. After the government acquired the land to establish the park, many houses and tenements that existed in the area were demolished and the residents were paid a compensation for their land. Today, the Pea Ridge National Park is renowned for possessing one of the best preserved battlefields from the Civil War era. Today, the park also includes a museum as well as visitor center, hiking trails, battlefields, the Old Telegraph Road and a restored incarnation of the Elkhorn Tavern.