A Brief Note about Valdez Cordova
Valdez Cordova is a census area located in the state of Alaska. The region occupies a total expanse of 40,199 square miles. An estimated 86% of the region is comprised of land, while the remaining 14% is made up of water. The adjacent boroughs and census areas surrounding Valdez Cordova include Southeast Fairbanks, Yakutat City and borough, Matanushka-Susitna borough, Kenai Peninsula borough and the municipality of anchorage. Valdez Cordova borders Yukon Territory of Canada on the east. The acrylic fridge magnet depicts a captivating lakeside image of Valdez Cordova, with snow-capped mountains silhouetted by the clouds in the backdrop. This is the perfect souvenir to possess to remind you of your time in Alaska.
Historical Attractions of Valdez Cordova
Despite being a census area, Valdez Cordova is home to a multitude of historical sites and attractions that draws visitors to the region in droves. The Bremner Historic Mining District is an area steeped in history. It is located in Wrangell St. Elias National Park. The district was named after John Bremner, who was the first non-native person to live in the area between 1884 and 1885. The mining district made a historical gold discovery in 1902, which placed it on the international map. Cape Hinchinbrook Light is a lighthouse that was established in 1910. It is located near the southernmost tip of Hinchinbrook Island. Shortly after the original lighthouse was constructed, the earthquakes of 1927 swept through the area, rocking the foundations of the building. A new octagonal tower was thus constructed in 1934, which had a new light built on solid rock. The Cordova Post Office and Court House is a long-standing establishment that was built in 1924. In 1977, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It has a reputation for being the oldest known post office building in Alaska.