A Bird's Eye View of Notable Landmarks in Providence Captured on a Souvenir Magnet
This aerial photograph of Rhode Island's historical College Hill district of Providence is an excellent representation of some of its most impressive structures. The largest and most dominant building in the keepsake picture is the massive red brick complex of structures comprising the Providence County Superior Courthouse and the Rhode Island Supreme Court, which was completed in 1930 after four years of construction.
The fridge magnet picture shows some other important buildings in this historical district, including some of the significant structures in the heart of College Hill. To the right of the impressive Courthouse you can see a domed roof structure on Meeting Street; this is the First Christian Science Church. There are several more significant buildings in the College Hill area, such as The Providence Athenaeum, which is one of the oldest libraries in this country, and the Marine Armory which was in use during the Civil War.
National Historic Landmark District
The College Hill district got its name from the location of two major educational facilities, Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design. It is also one of the most affluent areas in the country, with many impressive homes and institutions in a wide range of architectural styles, from the Neo-Georgian courthouse to Renaissance Revival Lippit House Museum. There are Gothic, Romanesque, Greek and Baroque styled homes all side by side in this excellently preserved American historical district.
The focal point of the souvenir picture, the Courthouse, is formerly named the Frank Licht Judicial Complex. In an interesting footnote, the dedication of the Providence County Courthouse in 1933 was presided over by Governor Francis Theodore Green, grandson of Supreme Court Justice William Burgess and a ten year old spectator at the dedication of the original Providence County Courthouse fifty six years prior.