Seal Of Delaware
This is an acrylic fridge magnet souvenir of the Seal of Delaware, United States. The Great Seal of the State of Delaware was first adopted on January 17, 1777, with the current version being adopted April 29, 2004. It contains the state coat of arms surrounded by the motto "Liberty and Independence". At the center of the coat of arms is a shield of horizontal red, blue and white stripes. On the red stripe there is a sheaf of wheat and a cob of corn signifying the agricultural vitality and agricultural basis of the state's economy. On the white stripe is an ox standing on grass, representing the importance of animal husbandry to the state's economy. Above the shield is a sailing ship, a symbol the ship building industry and the state's extensive coastal commerce. Supporting the shield are a farmer on the left and a militiaman on the right, symbolizing the central role of farming to the state, and the crucial role of the citizen-soldier to the maintenance of American liberties.
Liberty and Independence
The motto "Liberty and Independence" was provided by the Order of the Cincinnati, a hereditary organization of American Revolutionary War officers, formed in 1783. The surrounding inscription reads: "Great Seal of the State of Delaware" and the dates 1704, 1776 and 1787. The Lower Counties on the Delaware established their own General Assembly in 1704; Separation Day, June 15, 1776, was the day the colonial General Assembly declared Delaware an independent state; Delaware Day, December 7, 1787, was the day Delaware ratified the United States Constitution, being the first state to do so. The seal was originally adopted in 1777 with minor changes made in 1793, 1847, and 1907. The current version was adopted in 2004. From 1793 until 1847 the figures of the farmer and the soldier were eliminated from the seal. In 1907 the seal was "modernized" and "THE DELAWARE STATE" was changed to "THE STATE OF DELAWARE".